BEC高级口试指导:最新美语流行语手册(九)
来源:优易学  2010-1-18 16:54:11   【优易学:中国教育考试门户网】   资料下载   外语书店
41.be on a gravy train 走运,有赚钱的机会
gravy
在美国口语中有容易赚得的利润的意思,gravy train意即轻易发大财的工作。该习语直译为在一辆容易赚钱的火车上,所以引申为走运,有赚钱的机会
A: John seems to be on the gravy train these days.
约翰最近看起来很走运。
B: Yeah. He got a chance of going abroad to arrange an exhibition.
是啊。他得到了一个出国去办展览的机会。
A: I don’t know why the sun is not shining on me.
我不明白为什么我的运气总是不佳。
B: Don’t worry. You’ll be in the chips sooner or later.
别着急,总有一天你也会很富裕的。

42.be on cloud nine
高兴得飘飘然
该习语原为美国气象用语。该习语的流行据说应归功于50年代播放的一个名叫《约翰尼•多拉尔》的广播节目。Be on cloud nine的字面意思是坐早九重云霄之上,引申为高兴得不得了飘飘然。例如:He was on cloud nine after winning the competition. (他在比赛胜利后欣喜若狂。)
A: You seem to be on cloud nine these days. How is your restaurant business?
你近来有些高兴得飘飘然。餐馆的生意怎么样?
B: How is my business? It’s none of your business!
我的生意怎么样?这不关你的事。
A: It’s rude of you to talk to me like this.
你这样跟我说话太粗鲁了。
B: I was only teasing you. You see, we have our clients eating out of our hands now. Both Mark and I are feeling on the top of the world.
我只是在逗你玩儿。你看,我们现在已经有了许多回头客了。马克和我都感到非常高兴。

43.be on pins and needles
坐立不安
pins
大头针needlesbe on pins and needles的字面意思是如坐在大头针和针上,喻为坐卧不安如坐针毡
A: It seems you’re on pins and needles today. Anything troubling you?
你今天似乎坐立不安。有什么事吗?
B: Yeah. I don’t know why bad things keep happening to me. You see, my car was stolen and the warehouse had been broken into. I can’t put my finger on the causes of this damned thing.
是的。我不知道坏事为什么总是找上我。你看,我的汽车被偷了,货仓也被盗了。我弄不明白怎么会发生这些倒霉事。
A: There must be someone who had planned that. He threatened to show you the color when you refused to give him a promotion.
也许这是有人精心策划的。因为你没有提升他,他要给你点颜色看看。

44.be over the hump
已度过难关
hump
的本义是小丘,山脉over the hump直译为越过山脉,引申为度过难关
A: The Asian financial crises have almost paralyzed Asian economy.
亚洲金融危机几乎使亚洲经济瘫痪。
B: Your company must be influenced by it deeply.
你们的公司肯定也很受影响吧
A: Yeah. But we are over the hump now.
是的。但我们现在我们已经渡过了难关。

45.be saddled with
把任务或责任强加在某人身上
saddle
在这儿作动词,意为使负担,强加saddle sb. with sth. 意为为某人负重担,因此该习语意为把任务强加予某人。例如:I can’t be saddled with any more responsibilities.(我再也不能承担更多的任务了。)
A: How is George recently?
最近乔治怎么样?
B: Not very good. I hear that he is saddled with debts of his company.
不太好。我听说他的公司现在债务缠身。
A: What happened?
怎么回事?
B: It’s said that he was cheated by his partner.
据说是他的合伙人把他给骗啦。

责任编辑:sealion1986

文章搜索:
 相关文章
热点资讯
热门课程培训
论坛新帖