BEC高级口试指导:最新美语流行语手册(一)
来源:优易学  2010-1-18 16:50:17   【优易学:中国教育考试门户网】   资料下载   外语书店
      A Handbook of New American Buzz Words – Words for Business
1.a buyer’s market 买方市场

market
在这里是行情的意思。买方市场是有利于购买者的行情。与之相对的是a seller’s market(卖方市场)。
A: Have you bought the house?
你已买房子了吗?
B: I don’t know how to choose it. There are a lot of apartments on sale.
我不知道该怎么办,那么多房子,眼都挑花了。
A: It is a buyer’s market, you know.
现在是买方市场嘛!

2.a country mile
一段很长的距离
该习语多用在美国口语中,名词country农场的意思。在美国,由于科技比较发达,农场往往都很大。这些农场总能给人以辽阔、遥远之感。故该习语用country来指距离之远
A: Is the house close to the central city?
那房子靠着市中心吗?
B: It is a country mile from the Central Park. But it won’t be a problem since you drive.
离中央公园远着呢。可既然你开车这就不成问题了。
A: The distance is not really a problem. The real problem is whether I can afford it.
远近到不是问题,问题是我是不是买得起。
B: Don’t worry about it. It’s a real bargain.
不用担心,很便宜的。

3.a drug on the market
滞销商品,滞销货,供应过剩的商品
drug
的本义是麻醉药品,而麻醉药品是不能在市场上公开出售的,因此该词常常用来指滞销货
A: The things my son bought home were usually a drug on the market for adults.
我儿子买回来的东西在咱们眼里都是卖不出去的。
B: That’s not abnormal for a youngster. Young people all seems to be crazy about such things.
这对年轻来说没什么不正常的。年轻人看起来对这些东西都非常感兴趣。
A: The real problem is that he’s suing my money for them.
问题是他那我的钱去买的呀。
B: He’s your son, after all. Who else’s money do you suppose him to use?
他毕竟是你的儿子呀。你想让他拿谁的钱去买呢

4.a fair shake
公平的待遇
shake
在口语中有处置、对待的意思。当fair的意思为公平的时,这个短语的意思是顺利的、有意的时,它的意思就是好机会
A: Bob, can you ever make a thing right?
鲍勃,你就不能做对一件事吗?
B: Yes, I can and I am doing the right thing.
我能,而且我现在干的就是对的。
A: You should go and see how Allan handles it.
你真该去看看阿伦是怎么干活的。
B: It’s that Allen again! Why can’t you ever think of giving me a fair shake?
又是阿伦!你怎么就不能对我公平点?

5.a fat chance
微小的机会
fat
本是很多的意思,但在这里用了反意,表示微小的机会;表示同样意义的短语还有a fat lot,指很少
A: What do you think of his plan?
你觉得他的方案如何?
B: I have a feeling that is it doomed to fail.
我感觉它注定要失败。
A: Why don’t you vote against him?
干吗不投票否决他的提议?
B: It’s a fat chance of voting out his suggestion.
这不大可能。

责任编辑:sealion1986

文章搜索:
 相关文章
热点资讯
热门课程培训
论坛新帖