1.Choose from A, B, C or D the one that is the closest in meaning to the part underlined (20 points, 2 points each).
1. They were furious when one of their best managers was poached by another company
A. headhuntedB. punchedC. plunderedD. probed
2. The ink had faded with time and so parts of the letter were unreadable.
A. indelibleB. inscrutableC. illegibleD. illegitimate
3. She bristled at the suggestion that she had been dishonest.
A. bridledB. bridgedC. breathedD. boasted
4. The Romans subdued a large part of Europe and the Middle East.
A. submittedB. surpassedC. conquerD. oppressed
5. The waitresses disliked serving him his dinner because of his very fastidious taste.
A. fancyB. capriciousC. meticulousD. corpulent
6. If the grand jury indicts the suspect, he will go to trial.
A. agreesB. chargesC. abdicatesD. confesses
7.He is too young to be able to distinguish between right and wrong.
A. discardB. discernC. disperseD. disregard
8. After his long illness, the old man appeared so thin and delicate that a gust of wind have blown him away.
A. flimsyB. powerlessC. frailD. faint
9. We cannot vacillate on the question of the party’s leadership.
A. leadB. doubtC. checkD. repeat
10. John Smith is a voracious book collector.
A. viciousB. luxuriousC. insatiableD. valuable
2.Complete the sentences by choosing from A, B, C or D the best answer for each blank (10 points, 2 points each)
1. The numerals have become, _____, his friends, and he knows all their relations and acquaintances.
A. as it isB. as it wasC. as it wereD. as they are
2. A safety analysis _____ the target as a potential danger. Unfortunately, it was never done.
A. would identifyB. will identifyC. would have identifiedD. will have identified
3. Connecticut was the fifth of the original thirteen states ______the Constitution of the United States.
A ratifiedB ratifyC to ratifyD have ratified
4. The novelist John Dos Passes developed a style of fiction incorporating several documentary devices _________ to his works.
A lent realismB that lending realism
C to lend realismD of whose realism lent
5. The invention of the compound microscope (which allowed much higher magnification through multiple lenses) made ________the great strides in life sciences.
A it possibleB possibly C possible D it was possible